HCA Access program is designed for the students who have prior education and/or relevant work experience in the field of health care and have been referred by the BC Care Aide Registry to complete an access program to get the BC Care Aide Registration Number.
Upon completion of program students will be able to work in the following facilities:
- Long Term Care Facilities
- Extended Care Facilities
- Adult Day
- Respite Care and
- Home Support
Earn up to $26.50 per hour
Program Admission Requirements
Prior to acceptance:
- Proof of Grade 12 graduation or mature student status (19 Years or older)
- Successful completion of the Prior Learning/ Competency Assessment by NCAS to determine eligibility for the program.
- Candidates with following language benchmarks;
For Native English speakers
Evidence of one of the following:
- Proof of completion of Grade 10 English or equivalent
For Non- Native English Speakers:
- The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) — test must be within the last two years.
IBT only: Overall score of 76 with no score lower than 20 in Speaking and Listening and no score lower than 18 in Reading and Writing.
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic or General — test must be within the last two years: Overall score of 6 with a minimum of 6 in Speaking and Listening and no score lower than 5.5 in Reading and Writing.
- Canadian Language Benchmark Placement Test (CLB PT) — test must be within the last six months: Listening 7, Speaking 7, Reading 6 and Writing 6.
- Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program (CELPIP) Academic or General:
Aggregate score of 4L or better, with 4L or better in Speaking and Listening and 3H or better in Reading and Writing
- Canadian Academic English Language Assessment (CAEL)
Overall Score of 60, with no section less than 50.
Notes for Admission:
The following are to be completed prior to the first practice education experience:
- Proof of meeting current immunizations / vaccinations as per health care organization policies / guidelines (or signed vaccination exemption form, except TB)
- Criminal record check from the Ministry of Justice, including clearance to work with vulnerable adults
- Standard First Aid
- CPR Level “C” or “HCP”
- Foodsafe Level 1
- Provincial Violence Prevention Curriculum (PVPC) E-Learning Modules
440 Hours / 16 weeks
|HCA 100 A
||Access Health and Healing: Concepts for practice
|HCA 200 A
||Access Health 1: Interpersonal communications
|HCA 300 A
||Access Health 2: Lifestyle and choices
||Health Care Assistant: Introduction to practice
|HCA 500 A
||Access Healing 1 – Caring for Individuals experiencing Common health challenges
|HCA 600 A
||Access Healing 2 – Caring for individuals experiencing Cognitive or mental challenges
|HCA 700 A
||Access Healing 3 – Personal care and assistance
|HCA 800 A
||Access Practice experience in Multi-Level and/or Complex Care
|HCA 900 A
This program has been approved by the registrar of the Private Training Institutions Branch (PTIB) of the Ministry of Advanced Education, Skills and Training.